Lagos teens remanded over RCCG pastor’s murder

Lagos teens remanded over RCCG pastor's murder

Two teenage boys, Farouk Mohammed, 16, and Kasali Jamiu, 19, have been remanded by the Lagos High Court sitting at the Tafawa Balewa Square on Thursday over the murder of a Redeemed Christian Church of God pastor, Babatunde Dada, 46.

According to The PUNCH, Justice Sherifat Sonaike remanded the suspects to the Special Correctional Centre for Boys, Oregun, and the Ikoyi Custodial Centre, respectively.

The two were initially accused on January 12, 2022, before a Yaba Chief Magistrate’s Court along with two other people, Mumuni Toheeb, 21, and Mubarak Soliu, 20, for allegedly getting a Spark S Techno phone worth N60,000 that was the deceased’s property.

When the case was heard on February 14, Chief Magistrate Olatunbosun Adeola stated that a prima facie case had been made against Mohammed and Jamiu.

Following the DPP’s legal advice, she ordered that the two teens be tried in the High Court.

Adeola, on the other hand, released Toheeb and Soliu based on the DPP’s recommendation.

When the matter came up on Thursday, the Director of Public Prosecutions, Dr Babajide Martins, informed the court that the matter was for arraignment.

The first defendant’s arrival was announced by Mr. Oyekanmi Isijola, while the second defendant’s appearance was announced by Mr. I. G. Ofoyeju.

The suspects were charged with four counts that included armed robbery, murder, robbery conspiracy, and conspiracy to commit murder.

Martins said before the court that on December 2, 2021, about noon, in the RCCG, Road 13, 6th Avenue, FESTAC region of Lagos, the defendants reportedly plotted to kill Dada.

He claimed that they used a wooden plank and a bottle to hit the deceased on the head in order to kill him.

The duo stole the deceased’s backpack and a phone, the prosecutor further alleged in court.

The defendants entered a plea of not guilty to the charges after being arraigned.

In view of their pleas, Justice Sonaike ordered their remand in custody and adjourned the case till November 29 for trial